Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Federal assault weapon ban would harm gun making economy in Connecticut

I read in the New Haven Register an article titled “Malloy doesn’t mince words on semi-auto weapon manufacturing.” The article quoted Gov. Malloy saying gun manufactures may stay in Connecticut, but the ban will go through.
I went to Gov. Malloy’s web site and left this question/comment there: “Given that Gov. Malloy has said that firearms manufacturers are welcome to stay in Connecticut, would the governor ask our U.S. representatives and senators to remove their support of the bill introduced by California Sen. Feinstein? If Feinstein’s bill were to become law, rest assured Connecticut’s economy could not withstand the closure of the same companies that the governor has so politely said may stay.”
The Democratic members on the Gun Violence Prevention Working Group's own “proposal” says “Effective on passage, ban the sale to Connecticut residents, exposing for sale in Connecticut, transfer to Connecticut residents or importation into the state (but do not prohibit manufacture in the state) of such assault weapons.”
Will these same people pressure the governor to pressure Connecticut’s representatives in the U.S. House and Senate to remove support for a nationwide ban?
 I am opposed to any new expansion of the “assault weapons” ban other than its complete repeal. I am opposed to any limits of the number of rounds a magazine may hold. Why should I only have 10 rounds when the bad guy will have more than me?
I do support a nationwide background check system without transaction registration or recording. We need to amend Obamacare to allow the medical profession the ability to input psychological data into the NCIS.
 I would support efforts to suppress gang and drug activities and urge action be taken to create livable wage jobs here, which is more to the root of the problem of gun violence than gun grabbing legislation.
These proposed gun/magazine laws only affect the law abiding citizens and I consider them an incremental insidious progressive subversion of our state and federal Constitutions. Sen. Feinstein said the other day if only the theater shooter had 10-round mags, then someone could have stopped him while he was changing magazines. Really? So what happened in Newtown while the shooter was changing mags or clearing a misfeed? No one had the ability to stop him being he chose to commit his act in a “gun free zone.”
I work in Newtown and know one family who lost a little one. It is heart-wrenching and has made me furious that with the delay of information from the investigation being released to the public and presumably our elected officials.
All sorts of knee-jerk reaction type legislation is being proposed that will only affect the law-abiding citizens. I do fear that with the passage of some of the proposed bills I will become a criminal for simply possessing an object that is completely legal to have purchased through a system that has some checks and balances one day and the next it is a felony.
In closing I find myself unable to support or vote for any U.S. or Connecticut senator or representative if they should support and vote yea for any legislation limiting my rights and the rights of my fellow citizens, and I will urge my family members, my friends and co-workers to do the same.
Paul Doolittle
West Haven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home