Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Don't force CL&P and UI customers to go with private energy supplier

In today’s uncertain economy, I appreciate my right to choose an electricity provider and rate that best serves the needs of my household and my wallet.
A proposal being considered by state lawmakers would take away this choice from nearly 800,000 residents like me who are on the Standard Plan from CL&P or UI and force us into a contract with a private electricity supplier. This so-called “energy auction” would allow the state to sell off groups of Standard Plan customers to the highest bidder. The governor’s office, which is championing the proposal, claims that customers will save 5 percent, but only for the first year. There is no promise that the savings will continue.
Today, the Standard Plan provides the citizens of Connecticut with a stable, affordable option for their energy needs and acts as an important benchmark that customers can use to compare the rates of other providers. With this new energy auction proposal, that option, as well as my right to choose, is being taken away. I hope legislators will stand up for constituents like me and oppose the governor’s energy auction plan.
Bharat Manghnani
New Haven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home