Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Where have all the barbershops gone?

Where have all the barbers gone? I live in Hamden and by my count there are only six barbershops in Hamden. According to Town Hall, there are 32,000 men living in Hamden. It’s a crime that men have to go to beauty salons for haircuts, i.e. Supercuts and unisex shops.
I am a barber in Hamden for 50 years and I have watched the demise of the men’s industry since 1975.
The barber industry needs help. Are there not any legislators in Hartford that can stem the tide before all the barbers disappear? My brother-in-law in Ohio tells me the same problem exists there. All you guys that read this, contact your legislators and tell them to wake up and create an incentive to start a career in the men’s industry. Male or female, it doesn’t matter.
Dino Zaino
Hamden

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the legislators can do anything about this. It's supply and demand. This letter makes as much sense as a video store urging us to write our local politicians so video stores can come back. Find a better use of your time, Dino.

June 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned to cut my own hair as the last 2 barbers I went to(8 yrs ago) found it more important to talk on their cell phones or have conversations with their friends rather than focus on the customer and move it along. I did not know if I was at a barber shop or political campaign.

Also, there was a realistic possibility of being robbed or shot upon entering and leaving.

Aint nobody got time for that!

Within the first 5 self-cuts I found I did a decent job. After reviewing instruction videos on You tube, I do an excellent job.

Sayanora, arrive derche, and deuces to all barber shops.

Rule for all business: Learn how to treat your customers or they learn how to treat you.

June 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home