Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

What is New Haven doing about Townsend Avenue traffic safety?

It is clear that several traffic calming measures were approved at the state level for Townsend Avenue (specifically a narrowing of the road and an installation of over-sized, flashing warning lights) some time ago.
My question to Mayor John DeStefano Jr., Alderman Salvatore DeCola, D-18, and Jim Travers is what steps do we need to take in order to expedite this process? I am very interested in making Townsend Avenue safer for residents, and I know personally I have been requesting some sort of traffic calming for the past five or so years.
Are there any immediate plans to make Townsend Avenue safer for residents? Please let me know so I can spread the word among the concerned parent population of our neighborhood.
In closing, I would like to take issue with the way decisions are made regarding signals, lights, etc. It seems to me (with my admittedly small knowledge of the subject) that the needs of the residents would take precedence over the needs of the vehicles? I strongly believe that the safety of pedestrians trumps the consideration of vehicles. I understand that most cars are not used to stopping at the crosswalk in question ... but I believe in time and with exposure to the intersection that they would stop. Believe me, the residents of the neighborhood are already acquainted with dodging for our lives as is! There are two schools, a beautiful seawall, several parks and a busy church along that stretch of road. I think this would be a wonderful opportunity to ensure the safety of the residents who frequent those places. Please continue to let me know what I could do to help, and advise me of any progress you make so that I can share among other concerned parents in the neighborhood!
Richard M. DeBiase
New Haven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home