Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Troubled by lax security at New Haven's Celantano School

As a father, grandfather and a member of law enforcement for more than 40 years, I read with interest an article that ran in the New Haven Register Feb. 3 regarding school security.  That has prompted me to relate to you what occurred during a recent visit to the Celantano School in New Haven.
I rang the buzzer and was immediately buzzed in.  No security to check my credentials or to ask the nature of my visit.  No security in sight at all, although I noticed a security desk next to the entrance.  I had never been in this school before so I did not know where the main office was located.  I wandered for a few moments and located the office.  There were two ladies chatting and laughing with a uniformed security guard. 
I identified myself but no one checked my photo identification.  I was not asked to sign in.  I was not challenged at all!  I merely stated the nature of my business and left. 
I understand that increasing school security is a very complex issue.  But what about the most basic protection for our children, such as challenging anyone who wants to gain entry by having a security guard at the door, requiring photo identification and signing a visitor's log?
What I experienced was appalling, disgraceful and beyond imagination.  It still haunts me.
Dean B. Runlett
Hamden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home