Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Gun activists misuse the Second Amendment

So, to recap what I have learned from the gun debate, this is what I know:
The Second Amendment makes it imperative that I have the right to buy any kind of firearm on the market, with any amount of ammunition I choose, no limits, no matter how many people lose their lives to gun violence.
But ... one deranged person got on a plane with a bomb in his shoe and now I do not have the right to go through airport security without taking my shoes off.
And ... one deranged person got on a plane with a bomb in his underwear and now I do not have the right to get on a plane without having an x-ray of my private parts.
And ... because a couple of guys made a bomb out of fertilizer, I do not have the right to buy a large amount of fertilizer without justifying its use.
And ... because some people get in car crashes, I do not have the right to drive my car without a seat belt.
And ... because some people get in car crashes while using the phone, I do not have the right to use my phone in the car.
And ... because some people steal, I do not have the right to walk through a store without having a camera watch me.
So ... if the only people who can't have their rights infringed in order to keep society safe are gun owners, maybe it is time for us to stop fighting the Second Amendment and work to repeal it.
 To be honest, I think that the Second Amendment is being used by the NRA to insure a steady stream of big money supplied by powerful gun manufacturers who finance the NRA to pay off our elected officials to vote the way they are told.
Barbara A. Torino
Branford

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home