Blogs > New Haven Register Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor of the New Haven Register, New Haven, Connecticut, http://nhregister.com. Email to letters@nhregister.com.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

A public safety argument for undocumented immigrant driver's licenses

Some comments to a recent “Sound Off” column prompted me to share an incident that happened in New Haven some time ago. (Long enough ago that I did not have a cell phone.)
My car was “T-boned” by another car. I got out to look at the damage, which was considerable. The other driver, a Hispanic woman, got out also; she was at fault. But when I suggested calling a policeman, she said, “Never mind,” and drove away. I had witnesses as well as her plate number, all of which I included in the report I made to the police. A couple of days later, the police phoned to tell me they had traced the plate, which was evidently stolen, because the owner did not recognize my description of the woman who had hit my car.
The investigating officer told me, “These people don’t make enough to put food on the table; they can’t afford insurance.” The obvious perception was that I was a “rich” woman whose insurance would cover it. My unspoken thought was that such people should take the bus. I even asked a lawyer whether I should attempt to pursue the matter. He said, “Don’t bother.”
Suppose that happened now. (For starters, I would have stayed in the car and dialed 911 on the cell.) But if she had documentation, she might have been traceable. Believe me, I am completely in favor of welcoming immigrants and helping them become legal. But I would rather have the “half-legal” licenses than continuing the status quo.
Harriet V. Harris
West Haven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home